New Zealand - February 2019

Posted by Cathy Pierzina @cathyp, Nov 5, 2018

I purchased my ticket to New Zealand for February 2019 and I would love travel tips and suggested experiences! I will be flying into Christchurch and spending most of my time on the south island. My adult daughter and my high school friend will be meeting me there. I am looking for ways to experience the people and culture, enjoy the scenery, and engage in activities. Thanks!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Travel group.

I love NZ! How long will you be there? You must visit Queenstown. If you have the time I would suggest a driving loop of the south island. You could go up North through Marlborough wine country, and down the west coast. Must sees on the west coast are the pancake rocks in Punakaiki, a night-time kiwi tour (I did one out of Okarito), and Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers (there are flight tours out of these areas, I didn't do them but imagine they'd be fantastic). From there you could make your way to Queenstown, the birth place of bungee if you are brave enough. Fjordland is also worth a see and maybe a cruise. You can drive to Milford sound and the drive alone is exciting. Out of Te Anau there is a glowworm cave. You must go to a glowworm cave. This is probably your best bet on the south island. On your way back to Christchurch, make sure you drive up by the incredible turquoise Lake Pukaki and get a closer look at Mt Cook. All of this doesn't even include the amazing hikes you could do. Have a great time!

Thank you for the great suggestions. I fly in and out of Christchurch and will be in New Zealand for 2 1/2 weeks. Never enough time to do and see everything! I also have friends that live there, so they will have some suggestions too! Thanks for giving me you highlights!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.