Have you ever wanted to make environmentally sustainable improvements to your life or work but were unsure of where to start? You're in luck.
Now's your chance to experiment with sustainability — whether it's eating less meat, trying public transportation or installing LED lightbulbs — as part of the Drawdown EcoChallenge April 4–25.
Join the Mayo Clinic team to take on a personal sustainability challenge, and join thousands of other participants to prove that small actions at home and at work add up to real change.
ABOUT THE DRAWDOWN ECOCHALLENGE
The Drawdown EcoChallenge provides the tools and inspiration to turn intention into action, and gives you an easy way to reduce your impact on the planet, while contributing to a healthy, vibrant and sustainable future.
The EcoChallenge aligns with Mayo Clinic's value of Stewardship — "sustain and reinvest in our mission and extended communities by wisely managing our human, natural and material resources." As a participant, Mayo Clinic is not advising specific actions but rather providing ideas about how to reduce your environmental impact and learn more about global efforts to reduce carbon emissions.
The idea is simple. EcoChallengers choose their challenges, set their goals and take action for three weeks. You can choose from challenges in the topic areas of electricity generation, food, women and girls, buildings and cities, land use, transport, and materials. The social support created by participating with thousands of other EcoChallengers, along with friendly competition and earning points for success, help turn actions into habits. The goal is that EcoChallengers discover that taking action to reduce their impact and improve their communities is simpler than they thought and sustainable over the long term.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
Here's how to participate:
1. Register using your Mayo Clinic email address: https://drawdown.ecochallenge.org/users/join
When registering, create a unique password that is not your Mayo Clinic password. If you participated in a previous EcoChallenge, use the login you originally created.
2. Join the Mayo Clinic team. Find the Mayo Clinic team on the Teams page.
3. Choose at least one challenge in the areas of electricity generation, food, women and girls, buildings and cities, land use, transport, and materials. Choose one challenge or a few. It's up to you.
4. Take action, and track your impact. Your dashboard makes it easy to track your progress, share your stories, connect with teammates and discover new ways to take action.
5. Earn points, and share your story. You'll earn points for logging your actions each day of the challenge. Your points help you win competitions with other teams and demonstrate Mayo's collective impact.
6. See Mayo's collective impact add up. Many actions add up to real change. See how thousands of people acting together can positively impact the community and planet. Develop a new habit, and see the impact of sustaining it beyond the challenge.
And lastly, invite colleagues to join the Mayo Clinic team! Have fun challenging each other to change habits that benefit the planet and demonstrate that small actions add up to real change.
I'm hoping you'll join us!